Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to your Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) questions listed below. If your question isn’t answered here, please contact us for more information.

Learn more and see the answer by selecting the question. Toggle as necessary to view the various questions and answers.

What are Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) used for?

Small RPAS or drones have become increasingly common across a wide range of industries. Many pilots use them to get aerial perspectives for photography, real-estate or roof inspections. They can also be used to perform aerial surveys for mining, agriculture or construction site monitoring. RPAS can provide a faster and more cost-effective solution to traditional aerial imaging.

What is an SFOC?

Event with an Advanced RPAS or Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) certification there are still some projects that require a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). If your project can’t be performed within the limits of an advanced license, then you will have to apply for an SFOC with Transport Canada.

Applying for a SFOC can be complex, so we offer courses that can guide you through it the first time you apply. Find out more.

Is this course compliant with Transport Canada?

Yes, our RPAS courses are compliant with Transport Canada. This means that we cover the materials as necessary by Transport Canada outlined in document TP 15263, which is the Knowledge of Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS). In fact, we helped craft what was inevitably included in TP 15263.

Is ground school required to get a license?

To receive a Basic RPAS license all that is requried is an online test similar to a watercraft license. This basic license insures that a pilot understands when and where they are allowed to fly. Generally, a basic license allows you to fly outside of controlled airspace.

An Advanced RPAS license is a much more comprehensive online test that requires knowledge on all the principles outlined in TP 15263. In addition to a written test, a flight examination must be taken in order to demonstrate the pilot’s ability to fly and can apply the knowledge from the test. WWFC’s ground school is a 20 hour course over three days that is taught by the flight examiners, who will be assessing you during the test.

If you are ready for your Flight Examination, book with us!

Do I need a drone to take the course?

No, you do not need a UAV or drone to take the course. Many people come to us before they have purchased or ever flown a drone. During the course we review some of the flight characteristics of the different kinds of hardware available. This can grant a better understanding of what kind of drone you need and for what application.

What are the new regulations Transport Canada has released?

The new RPAS regulations created the basic and advanced licensing systems. Previously most commerical UAV flights required a SFOC to be filled out, creating a backlog of requests. The new basic and advanced licenses makes it easier to educate new UAV pilots, as well as give commercial UAV pilots more freedom in exchange for taking the time to learn TP 15263.

Why choose WWFC ground school?

Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (WWFC) has been training aviation professionals for more than 80 years. Our highly skilled trainers are manned aviation instructors and RPAS industry specialists. By working together, they convey traditional aerospace knowledge within the context of unmanned systems.

Our instructors are passionate about teaching and have enabled hundreds of new RPAS pilots to operate safely and reliably in Canadian airspace. Whether you’re just starting out or are a seasoned RPAS veteran, our course will give you the resources you need to be successful.

Recent Posts